Lunch Time

Good afternoon families!

I have had some parents bring their concerns to me about their children not finishing their lunches at lunch time.  I just want to share with you our lunch room rules with you so that you are informed about the rules that the children have been learning and practicing since the beginning of the year!

Rule #1: Students must be seated at ALL times while they are EATING.  We discussed the importance of this so that they won’t trip, fall, and choke while eating their lunch.

Rule #2: Students must not yell or scream, run around the room, throw toys, be bucket-dippers, etc. while in the lunch room.  They are to treat each other and the toys with respect, and to treat the lunch room as our classroom.

Rule #3: Students must not ever SHARE food.  We discussed how important it is to eat our OWN food and never eat food from a friend (unless a parent or family member has brought treats to the class) as we have some very serious allergies in our room.

***Rule #4: Students must FINISH their lunch at lunch time.  We have had long discussions about how they need to eat all of their food so that they have energy for the afternoons and so that they do not waste food (which “dips the Earth’s bucket.”)  I have tried very hard to make sure I check their lunches as they finish, but I now currently have 32 grades one and three students in my lunch room.  I do my best, but sometimes it is difficult to check on ALL of the children.  I also allow children to have a snack (one item from their lunch) during the morning recess (10:30-10:45 AM) and if they did not finish their lunch at lunch time and they express to me that they are still hungry in the afternoon, I allow them to finish their food as quickly as possible.  Some children, however, choose to not have their snack.  I have recently noticed a few students take some food out of their lunch bags in the morning and leave them in their backpacks so that they do not have to eat them at lunch time.  I simply do not have the time to go through their backpacks in the morning or at lunch as their lockers are out in the hall.  I must remain in the room for the safety of the children.  I kindly ask that you speak with your children and inform them that food must remain in their lunch bags so as to avoid this from happening.  In regards to the children who attend the Before and After program, I do allow them to keep a snack in the lunch bag so that they have something to eat after school.***

Rule #5:  Students must CLEAN UP their lunch area after eating before they have free time.  The students are getting better at remembering this rule!

We review these rules every lunch period, but please feel free to review them with your children so that they know you are aware of the rules as well.

Thank you!

Ms. Holmes